Our comprehensive guidance directly supports the Government’s ongoing strategy for England, Preventing Suicide in England: A Cross Government Outcomes Strategy to save Lives and the recommendation taken from Five Year Forward View for Mental Health that all local areas have multi-agency suicide prevention plans in place by 2017, contributing to a 10 per cent reduction in suicide nationally.
It is designed to support local authority public health teams to work with a wide range of stakeholders, including clinical commissioning groups, health and well-being boards and the voluntary sector, to develop local suicide prevention plans.
The resource includes guidance on:
- the national context for a focus on suicide prevention
- building a partnership approach
- making sense of national and local data
- developing a suicide prevention strategy and action plan
- evidence and ideas for action